If you are anything like me, the holidays are a hectic mess of holiday parties, shopping, and family gatherings. There are trees to erect, gifts to wrap, and children to calm. Make sure to take time for your own relaxation; it is your holiday too! One of the ways I unwind (that happens too scarcely, I might add) is by the fireplace with a good book and a steaming eggnog latte in my hand (recipe at the bottom).Coffee tastes so much better with creamy fats. Think of your delicious (but unhealthy) mix of sugar and cream in a Frappuccino. Eggnog, rich in eggs and cream, is one of the reasons why an eggnog latte is my Mom juice for the holidays. Here is a recipe for homemade, satisfying eggnog.
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 ½ cups organic palm sugar to taste
- 5 whole cloves
- 2 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 12 egg yolks
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 cups cream
- ½ to 1 ½ cups of bourbon, to taste (optional)
- Combine milk, cloves, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and cinnamon in a saucepan, and heat on low for 5 minutes. Slowly raise the temperature and bring milk mixture to a boil.
- In a large bowl, whisk egg yolks and sugar until the mixture is fluffy. Whisk hot milk mixture slowly into the eggs.
- Pour mixture into saucepan. Cook on medium heat, stirring constantly for 3 minutes, or until thick. Do not allow mixture to boil. Strain to remove cloves, and let cool for approximately an hour.
- Stir in bourbon, cream, 2 teaspoon vanilla, and nutmeg. Bourbon is optional and will vary in accordance with taste. The bourbon can be overpowering, so start with 1/2 cup and work your way up. Refrigerate overnight before serving.
If you opt for a non-alcoholic eggnog, it can be safely keep in the fridge for about a week. Alcohol prolongs the shelf life of your nog. I have never experienced a problem with expired eggnog, mostly because it is usually polished off with this Eggnog latte that I drink almost daily around Christmas.
- ½ cup fresh eggnog (see above)
- ½ cup of Bulletproof Upgraded Whole Bean Coffee
- ¼ cup whole milk
- Organic palm sugar to taste
Mix together eggnog, coffee, sugar, and milk in a pan and heat up. Pour into a mug and top with frothed eggnog and nutmeg if desired.
Bulletproof coffee is the perfect blend to use in making a satisfying eggnog latte because it is designed to promote brain function and help control hunger. Bulletproof works well with healthy fats and mixing it with eggnog is one perfect combination. I love to drink this latte in the afternoon, when I usually reach for my second cup of coffee. Not only does it give me energy to continue the rest of my day, but also tastes great!
Enjoy your holidays,